Cussin' Christians

   Recently I found myself swearing when something didn't go my way, while quoting a movie or singing. Every time I'd apologize to the Lord for letting obscene talk come from my mouth. I use to have more control in not letting such words slip out. When it started happening frequently I got concerned and asked the Lord why are these words coming out of my mouth.

   In my quiet time with the Lord it became obvious to me the reason. The reason I find myself swearing is because I've let the world comfort my senses. I've been indulging in films and music that contained profanity with the thought that I could be immune to it infiltrating my mind. I should've known better seeing as though I can remember almost every word from songs in my childhood and so it would not be a problem for these words to seep into my brain. I guess I thought myself above the verses...

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45

“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! Matthew 6:22-23

I've met several people who claim to know Christ yet not have a problem cursing. I'm not sure where they get that from when the Bible explicitly says...

"Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." Ephesians 5:4

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." Colossians 3:5-8

Profanity falls into the categories of obscenity and filthy language. And the solution is obvious but very uncomfortable to approach. I must spend more time in His Word and less time in the world, to be cautious of the words I listen to and stop sacrificing my mind for the sake entertainment.

We don't grow deeper in our relationship with Christ because we won't let go of the things that are hindering us. Things that give us comfort but may not please the Lord. We must be careful of what we read, listen to, and watch. The reason we don't long for the commands of the Lord like our forefather David is because we've let the world comfort us and believe me it will.

"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 'All this I will give you,' he said, 'if you will bow down and worship me.'" Matthew 4:9

You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? James 4:4-5

We've got to let God comfort us and we'll have that longing for His Word and even have a desire for a deeper relationship with the LORD.

Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me. Psalm 119:132-133

Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

"But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:36-37

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pursuit of Purity: Trip Lee and the Mowry's

Single Ladies

PSA: My Generation!!