Pleasures of Today, Pain of Tomorrow

  Instant gratification can bring long term consequences and steal God given blessings from your future. Be careful of what you're giving up to be obtain immediate pleasure.

   Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.) Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"  But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright. -Genesis 25:29-34 (NIV)


   Maybe what you're giving up seems little now but everything has it's value and somethings increase in value over time. Have you given up something for immediate pleasure and come to regret it? If so, think on how much you value now what you traded then and consider what you have now that you're thinking of trading later for satisfaction. I'm posting this to remind you all of this lesson I'm pretty sure we've all learned before but we need to refresh our mind and think on these things from time to time.


What's your bowl of soup and birth right?

This lesson is something I have to always keep at the fore front of my mind and it wasn't until I reread the story of Jacob and Esau that I realized how mush I needed to read that passage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pursuit of Purity: Trip Lee and the Mowry's

PSA: My Generation!!

Single Ladies