Why I Support Covers

Things that make me tick #9: When people blindly follow the masses without even considering what they actually believe.


Recently Youtuber David Choi's channel was taken down because music companies were flagging him for putting up covers of their songs. I don't really follow David so when the news hit I wasn't as zealous as his number 1 fans in protesting but I understood how they might have felt. In light of the David Choi's current situation I wanted to talk about the controversy of making covers. So I'm going to give an explanation as to why I support covers (i.e. I'm not a blind follower). I don't think companies should penalize youtubers for covering their songs.


The Reasons
   First off Youtubers give a lot of well known and unknown artist exposure. I was listening to the Lemonade cover 





and freaking loved it. When I listen to covers I go back to find the original and compare it. If I loved the cover 9 times out of 10 I'll love the original just as much and sometimes even better. This then incites me to go buy the original. Giving the company more money and money from someone who probably wouldn't have even heard of the song.


Ready for Pay Day
   Companies instead should start paying Youtubers to cover their songs. If they don't know, they're getting free freakin advertisements!!! I wish I could get a head count of all the folks who after hearing a cover on Youtube decided to go out and purchase the original or who were turned on to the covered artist. I wish the music companies could see that their actions only penalize themselves by getting rid of free advertisement and making potential and actual customers dislike them.


For myself I had never heard of B.O.B. before and the first time I ever heard his song was through a youtube covering. Believe it or Not. After hearing the song I went to find it and liked it. I was turned on to this new artist.


Other Youtube Mediums
   Singers aren't the only ones who cover artist but you rarely here of any dancer's channels getting shut down. Dancers give free advertisement also. 





Without Puspos and the rest of the SoReal Cru members there would be a lot of songs I would have no clue about.


Word of mouth
   An even with all this the companies forget that Word of mouth is stronger than their ads. When I hear a really awesome song guess what I do? I go tell others about it and broaden the artist audience just a bit more.


So have you been influenced by covers?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pursuit of Purity: Trip Lee and the Mowry's

Single Ladies

PSA: My Generation!!